Olive Young Sunscreen: I Finally Tried the SKIN1004 Hyalu-Cica Sun Serum
The weather was so nice today that I stopped by Olive Young.
I was almost out of sunscreen anyway, so the timing was perfect. I went in thinking I would quickly pick up one and leave, but that never really happens when I am surrounded by skincare.
After looking through the sunscreen section for a while, I ended up choosing the SKIN1004 Madagascar Centella Hyalu-Cica Water-Fit Sun Serum SPF50+ PA++++.
I had seen this blue-and-white tube before, so it was not completely new to me. It is also currently sitting near the top of Olive Young Global’s bestseller list.
Still, rankings are not what make me keep using a sunscreen.
For me, it comes down to something much simpler:
Does it feel nice enough that I actually want to put it on every morning?
The First Thing I Noticed Was How Light It Felt
The word “serum” in the name makes sense.
This does not have the thick, slightly heavy texture I still associate with some sunscreens. It feels much closer to a lightweight moisturizing lotion or serum.
It spreads easily, which I really like with sunscreen because I do not want to spend five minutes trying to blend it around my nose and hairline.
Another thing I immediately look for is white cast.
I really dislike sunscreen that leaves my face looking slightly pale or gray, especially when I am planning to wear makeup.
This one is designed without that obvious white finish, and that is probably one of the reasons it has become so popular.
Once it settles, the skin looks more naturally hydrated than “covered in sunscreen.”
That difference matters to me.
It Is Moisturizing, but Not in a Heavy Way
The name “Hyalu-Cica” comes from hyaluronic acid and Centella Asiatica.
If you shop for Korean skincare often, neither ingredient will be unfamiliar.
Hyaluronic acid is one of those ingredients I automatically notice when my skin needs moisture, while Centella — or Cica — appears everywhere in Korean products aimed at keeping skin feeling comfortable.
The formula also includes ingredients such as glycerin and niacinamide.
What I like about this combination is that the sunscreen does not feel completely separate from the rest of my skincare.
It feels like the final moisturizing layer of my morning routine.
My skin tends to look better under makeup when it has a little hydration, so I actually prefer this kind of finish to a sunscreen that becomes completely dry and powdery.
It leaves a soft glow.
Not glittery.
Not shiny like oil.
Just a little more fresh-looking.
The Real Test for Me Is Makeup
Whenever I try a new sunscreen, this is the part I care about most.
What happens when foundation goes on top?
There are sunscreens I like perfectly well on bare skin but avoid whenever I am wearing makeup because they feel too greasy or start pilling.
That is frustrating.
With a lighter serum-style sunscreen, I would still give it a few minutes before starting makeup.
I do not like applying foundation while skincare is still sitting very wet on my face.
Once everything has settled, though, this type of hydrated finish works much better for the way I like my base makeup to look.
I would especially reach for it on days when my skin feels slightly dry.
If you prefer a very matte complexion or have extremely oily skin, you might want something more oil-controlling.
Personally, I would rather start with comfortable skin and adjust shine later if I need to.
There Is No Strong Sunscreen Smell
Fragrance is another small thing that can completely change how much I like a product.
I do not want my face smelling strongly of sunscreen for the first hour of the day.
This one is not the kind of sunscreen I would choose because of fragrance. The scent is not the main event, which is exactly how I prefer it.
It also makes the whole product feel more like everyday skincare.
That might sound like a minor detail, but sunscreen is something I use constantly.
Small annoyances become much more noticeable when a product is part of your routine every morning.
I Understand Why Korean Sunscreens Have Become So Popular
A few years ago, sunscreen was probably the least exciting thing in my skincare routine.
Now the sunscreen shelves at Olive Young are almost as interesting as the serum section.
There are watery sunscreens, moisturizing ones, matte ones, tone-up formulas, sun sticks and products that feel surprisingly close to essence or lotion.
SKIN1004 fits into that newer generation of Korean sunscreens very well.
It has SPF50+ PA++++, so the sun protection is still the main reason to use it.
But the texture and skincare ingredients make daily use easier.
And that is important.
The best sunscreen is not very useful if I dislike the feeling so much that I avoid applying it properly.
Why Tourists Keep Looking at the Korean Sunscreen Section
I can imagine the sunscreen aisle being a little overwhelming if you are visiting Korea for the first time.
There are so many brands sitting next to each other.
SKIN1004.
ROUND LAB.
Beauty of Joseon.
goodal.
And plenty more.
Some are probably names you have already seen online, while others might be completely new.
That is part of what makes Olive Young fun.
You can actually pick up the products, compare the packaging and see how many different types of Korean sunscreen exist in one place.
The SKIN1004 Water-Fit Sun Serum is currently one of Olive Young Global’s bestselling products, so it is clearly not only Korean shoppers who are interested in it.
But even with a popular product, I would still think about skin type first.
If you enjoy light, moisturizing skincare and like a little natural glow, this type of sunscreen is very easy to understand.
If you prefer something extremely matte, you may end up choosing another one.
I Am Glad Sunscreen Does Not Feel Like Sunscreen Anymore
This might actually be my favorite thing about newer Korean SPF products.
They have made sunscreen feel like part of skincare instead of something annoying that gets added at the very end.
My morning routine does not need to be complicated.
A little skincare.
Moisturizer if I need it.
Then sunscreen.
After that, makeup.
The SKIN1004 Sun Serum fits into that kind of routine easily.
It feels light, it is moisturizing without feeling overly thick, and it does not leave the obvious white cast that makes me want to immediately wash some sunscreens off.
That is probably why this product caught my eye at Olive Young today.
I went in because my old sunscreen was almost empty.
I came out with something that feels much more like the kind of SPF I want to use now.
And when it comes to sunscreen, I think that is probably the most important thing.
I want one that makes me forget I used to dislike wearing sunscreen.
Comments
Post a Comment